Friday 18 January 2013

Storytelling




I would call this week a Good Week. Yes, I skipped a meal here and there. Yes, there was that morning where the great grey elephant sat on my chest and I couldn’t get out of bed and ended up being late for work.

But

(and it’s a glorious but)

I ate three meals nearly every day. And when I didn’t manage a proper meal, I at least ate something. The day I was late for work? I was only half an hour late, and didn’t miss the day. Our church celebrated the first birthday of its Christians Against Poverty Debt Centre, and the stories and the redemption made me weep. More Lord.

I flirted with a lot of blue eyed boys (all aged one, no need to get excited)

I had dinner with a precious friend who is growing a person and buying a house and starting a business and raising two toddlers and is still laughing.

I submitted three funding applications at work, returned to our lunchtime clubs after the Christmas break and spent some time with our gorgeous teenage girls, and spent some time with a client so that we could bless her with the items she needed for her imminently-arriving baby.

I started learning some sign language and making new friends (one of whom is also growing a person - there’s a theme at the moment). I realised I find signing odd because I cannot write it down or make notes in any conventional sense, and it strips back the words we’d speak to make communication spare and beautiful. I love it, even if I can’t string together a sentence.

I was given a free cup of tea at my favourite coffee shop.

I started reading a flesh-and-paper book because I’ve taken against my kindle (for no sensible reason)

I found a house for the next six months, and the situation was pulled together by hands Much Bigger than mine.

I read this SheLoves piece by Kelley Nikondeha and it somehow gave me permission to breathe out. ‘The prophets, energised by the Spirit, never dreamed of anything less than a new world.’ I am allowed to dream of and pray in the Kingdom. Swords into ploughshares, baby. Prayer is powerful, and I choose to enjoy the secret prayers in the quiet place. One day, I might get to go to Amsterdam and Durban and India and New Zealand and Thailand and Israel and Cambodia, but for now, I will be a-praying right here.

I listened to Emily and Preston (having opinions). You should go listen too. They have excellent opinions.

A friend I’ve not seen since her wedding in July booked to come up and see me next weekend. ALL THE JOY.

I did not have blood tests or faint (marked improvement from last week)

My friend from Oop North made it down for a visit, despite the snow. She may, in fact, be snowed in here for a while. What a shame that would be.

In related news, today has become a SNOW DAY.

And that is my story this week. There is joy and grace in every day.

2 comments:

  1. There is joy and grace in every day. I find it best to take a moment and look objectively at my day. It puts a whole new perspective on things for me. You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joy and grace in every day. Amen. Love your attitude. And aren't Emily and Preston hilarious? :)

    ReplyDelete